Week 10: Astro Boy


What I found most interesting about Astro Boy was the fact that it is an early example of Japan's love and embrace of robotics and robotic culture into their popular culture. It's interesting to see what is probably the first example of this, when all my life robots have been engrained into their pop culture, especially within anime and manga media.

What is even more interesting about Astro Boy (and something I wasn't expecting) was how human Astro Boy is as a character. He feels less cold and less, ironically, less robotic than some of the robotic characters I am used to from anime/ manga I love like Ghost in the Shell. Rather than getting the intense, cold and dark sci-fi feeling i got from Ghost in the Shell, I instead felt something more akin to the feeling I get watching a classic Disney movie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

week 13: Watchmen